Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Put it on Mute

I have been wordless for a little while. It’s not that I have nothing of value to say. I just want to be in the right frame of mind when I say it. I have my moments when I embrace the silence soaking in the moment, taking it deep within I acknowledge it, and then surrender it to God.

Lord, help me to be slow to speak.

Help me to speak Your words and remove the things that are steeped in matters of opinion.

May my words bring life, not death.

May they lift others up instead of tearing them down.

Help me to know the difference between the “truth” as I see it and the truth that is absolute and founded in Your word.

And with Your help, my Lord, may I be quick to forgive.

Amen


“If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight reign on his tongue, he deceives himself and is religion is worthless.” (James 1:26)

We’ve all had those moments and wasted words. If only we could rewind and put it on mute…

“When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.” (James 3:3-6)

I’m surrounded by intelligent people that would be better served if they said less and beheld the pure wisdom that flows when we select our words carefully or just say nothing at all. I believe in honesty, I believe in speaking up when it’s right, but I also know that words cut like a knife. They can never be taken back.

I have been affected deeply by the power of words. And heaven knows I have said things recklessly. Some words have taken me decades to get over. Some replay over and over as I purposely acknowledge God’s truth and reject the lies of the enemy.

If your words were the mold in which to shape a person, what kind of monster would you be creating?

Look, I would much rather embrace my role as “the encourager.” I truly believe in the beauty of who you are because you are God’s. Created in His likeness, you are His baby. Nothing can touch that, no mistake or reckless words, no sin can separate you from His love and your rightful place as His beloved.

I just have to ask you one question:

What have you been saying about God’s baby?

You are His beloved, He sings over you. Before for you beat yourself up and sell yourself short, or rip someone to shreds to make yourself feel better…put it on mute.

2 comments: