Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Place Called Normal & Discount Plastic Surgery

I just celebrated my thirty-fourth birthday with a girl’s trip. Four women of God all involved in ministry, shopping till we dropped, lots of laughter, and just ourselves to clean up after made for the most wonderful mini getaway. I was so impressed with this group of ladies and friends. We are all serving God in different capacities.

I guess I’m feeling a little nostalgic as I reflect back on my life, counting my blessings, remembering a few heartaches, and looking ahead in life. I am amazed at the change in me as I look back at my twenties, I seriously wouldn’t go back if you paid me to. I spent a majority of my young life trying to be normal, whatever that is. But, over the years I have embraced this quiet place of contentment and acceptance of who I am in Christ. Such joy comes from having the mold that shapes me being the hands of the Potter and not the hands of man, society, or even the church world. If I did the things expected of me as a pastor’s wife, I would love me a potluck meal, wear panty hose in the summer time, and probably need to take up piano lessons or heaven forbid, the organ.

Months ago I was having a conversation with my mother about life, I really can’t remember all that was said or what we were talking about, but I remember saying to my mom, “When I have ever been normal?”

Complete silence.

She didn’t disagree or lie to me to make me feel better. She just looked at me as I continued to tell her that I never felt called to have a normal life. And frankly, I’m sure I would be bored to tears if ever I landed in a place called “normal.”

I’m thirty-four now and “Root Touch Up” is my new best friend. I ache when I work out and I’m sure I have the beginnings of arthritis or perhaps it’s just the display of my overactive imagination at work. I am aging and the world is using their best tricks to capitalize in the beauty industry. I’m not a hater, I love a good wrinkle cream just like the next gal…but, eventually the cream will just be a ritual to make me feel as if I’m taking care of myself whether it works or not. Just last week I got a “coupon” in the mail for an offer of 40% of tummy tucks and 20% off of breast augmentation. I waved it at my husband and said, “Who sent this to me?!” I was ticked.

I have given birth to two large babies (8 lbs 4 oz & 9 lbs 14 oz) and nursed them. Sure, I could use some work, but maybe I should just try doing a few sit-ups and buy a better bra before I cash in this absurd coupon preying on the insecurities of women. (Now I’m worked up, so forgive for going off for a second about this.) I think that it is completely ridiculous that the Heidi Montag’s of this world can’t look in the mirror and feel beautiful. These are women in their twenties having multiple plastic surgeries. It’s crazy. Something happened to her as she was sucked into the world of Hollywood. A beautiful girl became broken and wanted to fix something on the outside of her gorgeous body that needed to be fixed inwardly. My heart breaks for her, my heart breaks for all of the girls in this world that feel like they are not good enough. My heart breaks that they feel the need to sell their bodies to make it in this world. They need hope in Christ and to know their worth and value as women. And that is something they should NEVER throw away or sell. We could bash Hollywood, but someone needs to reach Hollywood.

We are the temple of Christ, we do not need plastic surgery or to show all kinds of flesh to make ourselves attractive. This world is selling sex and the world is buying it. Our teenagers are buying it and Vogue is their new Bible.

Oh, Lord, help me to raise secure, healthy daughters who look in the mirror and smile because they are whole on the inside. Help me to age gracefully, to use my wrinkle cream with pride and look at this body and give thanks because it gave life to my little girls. I would not trade them for anything, so I won’t be mad about the stretch marks! I’m grateful for the gift of womanhood. Help me to be a display of Your splendor, make me beautiful on the inside so I’m not tempted to be caught up my outward appearance. Help me to reach those in need and searching after you.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment