Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Big People Helmets & Bronchitis


Here’s a recap of my previous two weeks. It started with a trip to urgent care on Saturday. Sweet Elise had started coughing and things were starting to get scary. I spent most of Friday night praying over her as she struggled wheezing and coughing. The doctor’s confirmed it was bronchitis and we started treatment for my baby. On the way home I found out that Jonathan had been knocked out while trying to teach Whitley how to ride a bike. Who knew that we needed to get my big, strong man a helmet for this? He actually fell over Whitley and landed on his face. Whitley’s knee was bloody and bruised, but she was fine. It’s a Mom thing, but I needed to see her with my own eyes and Jonathan wasn’t making much sense over the phone. I was just sick to my stomach on our drive home trying to get to them. My world is wrapped up in Jesus and those three people, who are my highest calling.

When I walked through the door, I couldn’t believe it. Jonathan had really been hurt and I was scared. I sent out a few text messages asking for prayer. I stayed by his side for hours waiting to see if we should take him to the hospital. He was fine, but in shock about the whole thing.

Sunday morning he walked onto the platform and was greeted by gasps. I actually heard one man say, “Look at his face!” He truly wished that he had a better story to tell, like ‘I was mauled by a bear’ or ‘I was climbing the tree to rescue the neighbor’s overweight cat.’ Some of the men in the congregation teased me saying that I did it. (I’m little, but I’m powerful. ;) Jonathan is one of my favorite preachers and despite his throbbing head, he preached a great message and this week you can barely tell anything happened to the poor guy.

By Monday it was time for Whitley and me to go to the doctor. My blood pressure was extremely low and I was wheezing. I had my first steroid shot, which was painful, but extremely effective. Did I tell you that my five-year-old and seven-year-old have also been on steroids? Next time, I’m asking for a shot of Prozac too. It’s one thing to have children on steroids, but it’s another thing to feel like Cruella de Vil while caring for them. Today Whitley actually used the steroids as an excuse for her behavior.

“I really don’t want to be cranky, Mom. It’s not me really. It’s the steroids.” She said and then flashed me a toothless smile that melted my heart so much that I had to remind myself that I was supposed to be annoyed.

Honey child…that is exactly what I have been trying to tell your Daddy! (Wink)

Life is getting back to normal and we are doing so much better. Please keep the girls in your prayers; they are still doing breathing treatments. This allergy season hit all of us pretty hard, but God is so faithful. His love overwhelms me. It’s been a difficult week, but He knows when I sit and when I rise. He perceives my thoughts from afar. He knows me, He formed those precious little miniatures of myself and He is the God that heals.

“O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thought from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord. You hem me in-behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.” (Psalm 139: 1-6)

If you are feeling overwhelmed today or just need to know that God knows where you are at…read Psalm 139. You are hemmed in, handcrafted, enclosed by His amazing love, and surrounded on all sides. Oh, how He loves us. How cool is that?

Love ya’ll!

8 comments:

  1. What a week! I was trying to picture how Jonathan's face could get so scraped up! Poor guy! Great piece about your week. Made me giggle for sure.
    -Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Word! Sounds like you guys have been thru it all this week! Glad to hear everyone is doing better. Poor Jonathan too! And sorry you guys have had such bad allergy problems. It must be something with Bella Vista. Mason had HORRIBLE allergies when we lived there. He hasn't had to have a breathing treatment or even allergy meds since we moved. (guess that is the ONLY postitive thing about having to move away from "home".) Anyways, I'll continue to keep your family in my prayers. We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the prayers, Shawna! We miss you guys so much. Bella Vista is horrible for allergies, praying for a little shack on the beach someday. :)

    Autumn, I tried to get the full story, but Jonathan seriously can't remember what happened! Crazy, huh?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! Thanks for sharing! I will be praying for your girls. It's no fun when they are sick, and you are not feeling well yourself.
    Love,
    Jen B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the prayers Jen. Praise God we are on the mend!

    love,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good grief! I'm so sorry for you and the family. Praying for you all, but I gotta say...Jonathan, that is just too funny. How ever do you come up with this stuff? Seriously though, I'm glad that everyone is ok now. Love you guys very much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robyn, trust me...we have been laughing over this one and teasing him like crazy! Sunday we were actually laughing and blaming his "head injury" for some of the funny things that happened in the service! We love you guys and miss you(and Mike's velcro shoes). Tee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! thats crazy... who would have thought learning to ride a bike could be so dangerous! I'll have to get Ry Guy a helmet before he tries to teach out kids ;) I really can't believe that happened! I remember when our Dad taught me to ride a bike... and I'm pretty sure we started out by rose bushes and then had to move down the street!

    ReplyDelete