Tuesday, March 30, 2010

March Madness

Tonight I used my “mommy voice” for at least an hour while I practically begged, threatened, and pleaded with my children to go to bed.

Definition of mommy voice: a tone of voice that is slightly softer than yelling.

The mommy voice didn’t work, those girls pulled out their best tricks on me while their daddy was putting in a few more office hours after dinner over at our friends house. If the big man were home those things wouldn’t have taken place, I can guaran-smack-tee ya.

Whitley even managed to pull out a loose tooth an hour passed her bedtime. I sent out a text to the big man:

I hope you have cash, Whitley lost another tooth.

Then, I said to the girls, “You have to go to sleep or the Tooth Fairy can’t come.”

Elise decided that all of the excitement was too much. Poor thing, earlier today she was rushing to open the door for me at five when I got home and I opened the door into her little head. Oh yeah, it left a mark. I can’t imagine what she will tell her little friends tomorrow. Her huge grin from seeing my face quickly turned to death-screams and huge tears running down her dirty, little face. I was horrified.

As she said softly, now two hours passed bedtime, “mommy, can I please tell you something?” She laid her head down on my shoulder and quickly went to sleep. I held her and felt her deep, peaceful breaths as the panic from being up past bedtime melted away. It was as if the bad things from today were covered and erased altogether. Tomorrow is a new day, bruises will fade and when my baby is twenty-five…I will never have any regrets about rocking her to sleep when she was five.

No comments:

Post a Comment