Saturday, March 6, 2010

The God that Hovers

Inside of most women is a capacity to nurture and care for others. To look after the ones place in our care and be tentative to the needs around them; gently kissing the wounds of the ones we love. Even before I was a mother I felt rather motherly. Now that I have children of my own, the desire to nurture has risen to a completely different level.

I’ll admit that I’m very protective. It was a trait passed down to me, although I’ve had to keep it in check. In this world that we live in I feel sometimes that I don’t have much of a choice. One thing that I know is that we are in the hands of a very gracious God who understands every facet of the mother that hovers over her children.

It is never our desire to hover in a manner to suffocate the ones we love, it’s a balance we have to learn early on to trust and to sometimes let go. When I think about this picture of the hovering mother I think of baby Moses cradled in his mother’s arms as tears stream down her face. I think of the fear she must have been gripped with as she made a choice to try to save her beautiful child.

She hid him for three months and then after preparing her heart to let him go, with an aching heart she fashioned an ark of bulrushes and placed him into the waters next to some reeds. Deep inside she knew it was unsafe for her to be present. So she sent the next best thing, placed on the shore with a watching eye stood his big sister, and second in command, hovering mother.
(Ex 2:1-10)

Two things come to mind as I read this amazing story about the life of Moses.

1. We have a God that hovers over us.

“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, even though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea.” (Ps 46:1-2)

He is our ever-present help in times of need. He longs to be our strong tower, our refuge in the quiet or raging waters of our life.

2. We have a God who has adopted us in and calls us His own.
“I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.” (John 14:18)

It was not a Hebrew practice to adopt, but it was a common practice among the Egyptians. When the Pharaoh’s daughter saw Moses and had compassion on him and took him as a son she changed his fate from death to great destiny. Our Heavenly Father does the very same thing with us. We are heirs with Him in glory. He is the God that hovers over you. The name Moses means to “draw out”. Let God draw you out of the waters you feel that are overtaking you, I’m praying for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment