Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Baby that Changed Everything

It started with a song I couldn’t get out of my head. A song I played over and over while the words and the meaning soaked into my heart. As the music played my little girls listened. And although Whitley’s little mind couldn’t quite comprehend the meaning written in the lyrics she still heard the words… “A baby changes everything.” She was listening, they are always listening.
A baby does change everything. For me they added color and flavor to my world, laughter and music, giggles and kisses, and so much more. A love so deep it hurt because as hard as I try I can’t stop them from experiencing pain in this world. As I held Whitley one night I whispered in her ear like I often do, “You’re my baby. You and Sissy are the greatest gifts God has ever given me.” She smiled, always accepting of loving words, and said as she snuggled in close to me, “A baby changes everything.”
Her words caught me by surprise. Our children hear so much of what is spoken and see far more than we give them credit for. I pulled myself together and said, “Yes they do, but do you know which baby that song is talking about?” It was the story of a birth of a baby to a young mother, a savior who started out much too small helplessly cradled in the arms of someone special. At Christmas we picture the baby in the manger. At Easter time we picture a man hanging on a cross and an empty tomb. We ponder his humble beginnings, his heartbreaking crucifixion, and triumphant resurrection that gives us hope of an eternal home in heaven.
That evening I wanted the emphasis to be on heaven, no more tears, angels singing- happy thoughts for her little mind to drift off to sleep with, happy thoughts for her mommy as I tucked her in and prayed for a good report from the doctor’s office. The next day we received the news, no heart murmur. Her little heart is perfectly healthy!
That was a year ago. This year Whitley and I have a new song in our hearts. “We are the Reason.” Last week coming home from Whitley’s 1st grade musical she asked me to keep playing “We are the Reason” sang by Avalon. It’s her favorite Christmas song. I heard her little voice in the backseat begin to sob.
“Mommy, can we please listen to it again? It just touches my heart and makes me cry.”
“Yes, sweetie we can.” At this point, I’m sobbing as I watch her in the rear-view mirror so moved that my little girl is having a moment in the car with the Most High.
“He died for our sins, so we wouldn’t have to.” Whitley said still crying.
Yes, He did baby girl. You are the reason that He gave His life; you are the reason He suffered and died. Thank you, God for making yourself known to my baby girl. My heart is wrapped up in your perfect gift!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful...simply beautiful...from a mothers heart! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelly, that means so much! You have the most adorable babies... and family! I'm a big fan!

    ReplyDelete