Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Sisterhood and Hearts Like Magnets


In moments of quiet reflection today, I steal away time in the midst of chaos and having everything removed from its rightful place. I stop. I surrender. It matters not what I look like, with paint on my clothes from a project that has to be finished. I leave the wet paint to dry on shelves designed to bring order with everything in its place. A systematic design by a logical man trying to make this wife and mother happy, I roll the paint without direction or plan. And I know that I was never meant to fit a mold designed by man or worldly expectations.

The dishes are piled up, everywhere I look I am reminded that there is a long list to do, but only one thing matters. For just a few hours I need to runaway from home to my favorite place by the waters. The waterfall moves swiftly, much like my life right now. It crashes down over rocks worn smooth and polished from waters that carved its indention over time. Spilling over, making a rushing sound that commands silence, God speaks. These waters will not overtake you because you are not alone. So I walk away from the swift waters that polish and smooth out the blemishes and imperfections of jagged rocks and I know God is doing that in me. I find my way back to the lake that holds the still waters and I know He leads me there too. I'm still not alone.

On days where I feel misunderstood and unable to make rational decisions, I runaway from home with a blessing and blank stare from man who knows that this moment is reserved for the sisterhood. He knows that in a few hours I will return stronger. And just when I thought I needed to be alone, the phone rings and it's the sisterhood calling, texting, and checking in. And I don't have to fake a normal conversation or cover up my needy humanity. Or pretend that little Miss independent didn't pick up the phone to call her Mom and cry just hours prior. I surrender to my need for the sisterhood and it all makes perfect sense.

Beautifully captured in a moment between sisters, God illustrates the glory of His beloved through my daughters. For the past two nights they have gravitated towards one another, tiptoeing out of their rooms to find their way to one another. Like a magnet being pulled together out of the basic need for togetherness.

One is sick, one is the picture of health. I have kept them apart for as long as I could wanting to kept my little one healthy, but she knows. She knows her big sister is sick and doesn't like to be alone at night. So she goes to her, and she is wanted and welcome.

Just as peace settles in, the coughing begins. So I rush to her. I hover over her like mothers do, I kiss her forehead and check for fever. She wipes her eyes knowing that I'm there and gives me a smile and falls back to sleep. Her sister and shadow throws her leg over her and she whispers her name. She knows her sister is there with her too, snuggled up close just to let her know she's there. I wonder if they need to be separated, but instead scooping up her shadow and placing her in the bed that belongs to her I whisper, “Do you want me to move Sissy to her bed?”

And she answers softly, “No.”

Tonight she wants her sister. Tonight she wants her shadow to hover close by, to snuggle up close just so she will know that she is not alone. She embraces the sisterhood as I think about what God is calling His daughters to do.


To hold each others hands up when we grow weary from battle.

To whisper words of comfort and tell them that they can do all things through Christ.

To cheer the loudest when God is using them as they spread their wings to find their God-ordained calling.

To remind them that they are the gift, and the pearl of great price, echoing Gods words that they are of great worth and value.

They are the valuable coin and you are the woman who searches the house, sweeping up the dirt of this world and their past, brushing past the filth to find the goldmine clothed in flesh. And it is beautiful and it is not tainted by stains of sin or wounds from rebellion. You tell them Gods waters washed it all away, they will be smooth and polished. A sight to behold.

You gently nudge, sometimes push them, telling them all the reasons why they “can” instead of all the reasons they “can't.”

We need the sisterhood, to be unashamed to tell our hidden hurts so that we might find healing, to let the runny mascara flow and do the ugly cry even though they are watching. We need our sisters, those woven together with familiarity and bloodlines, the adopted sisters brought together by Gods leading. Those lifetime friendships you carry with you from carefree college days, to life with babies replacing a youthful figure for stretch marks and deeper character that comes from becoming comfortable in stretched out skin, laugh lines, and life that grows sweeter with age and the knowledge that we never really “arrive.” We simple press on towards the mark for the prize of the high calling of God. (Phil 3:14)

We press on with broken nails from learning to let go of the fear of rejection or the fear of needing too much. And we open our hearts to the beauty, releasing a lovely fragrance that God is love, and He is the perfect love that casts out all fear. (1 John 4: 18) And in that moment we relax into the realization that sometimes love comes so easily, but accepting that love in return and embracing the need for the sisterhood is nourishment for thirsty hearts with built in magnets that draw and knit us together with great purpose.

2 comments:

  1. Very inspiring and brought tears to my eyes. I'm ready for the warm and the sick season to be gone as well. I love your new blog look and am amazed at the 3:12 AM posting time. How do you function without sleep? Keep writing, I love it. Cammie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cammie! I hardly ever stay up that late, but when inspiration hits and you drink to much coffee at dinner time...that's what happens. (Wink) Thank you for the kind words about my writing and my blog. It truly means a lot to me.

    love,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete