Monday, February 14, 2011

My Love to Grow Old With and other Mushy Stuff





I’m sitting here at the table waiting for you at one of our favorite places. You’re late and worried, but I’m not rushed or mad in the slightest that you took the long way to get here. I’m just in love and I’m yours. And I’m here.

When I walked into the restaurant it wasn’t the young lovers that I noticed, with all the newness and excitement. It was the couple with gray hair and laugh lines still holding hands that caught my eye and made me smile.

I made a list when I was nineteen of all the things I wanted in a man, you are all those things and more. You are constant, if not predictable, and I always felt so safe with you. I still do. I fell in love with my best friend, you were not at all what I imagined, but you were everything that I needed.

I still have the list written by a young girl who knew what she wanted, a list offered up to a God who granted me every single one of those sixteen things in you. At times I have wished that I could go back and add a few more things like…loves to clean up after himself or loves to give hour long back rubs. But, none of those petty things matter when I have a man like you. I’m crazy about you.

I thought you might like to see my list:

1. Man of God
2. Totally consumed by God
3. Virgin
4. Stable financially (I meant stable, not tight. But, whatever. Wink.)
5. Spiritual vision
6. Goals (BIG)
7. Soul winner
8. Funny
9. Wise
10. Attractive to me (This one makes me laugh a little.)
11. Tall (I wanted our children to not be so vertically challenged like me.)
12. Good with people
13. Challenging (Yep, you nail this one baby.)
14. Spiritual leader
15. Someone who loves everything about me and will support me and help me fulfill my call.
16. Someone who will love me to pieces.


I’m grateful for all that you bring into my world, we’ve grown up together. You are my love to grow old with. I love you.


Happy Valentines Day!

2 comments:

  1. You know I love to see the old 'white' haired couples hold hands and be together. They are like shoes and laces one cannot be without the other to make a complete look. My in laws almost made to 61 years she died a few months too soon. We have been married 37 years not bad for a young couple right out of high school. Yes the newley weds are adorable but it's the old wrinkled face 'love birds' who you want to interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! I love watching couples that have been together forever, they give me hope and melt my heart at the same time! I think the newly weds are fun too...clueless about what's ahead, but so much in love that they don't care. I'm somewhere in the middle, we have been married for almost 13 years.

    ReplyDelete