Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The View from Where I Sit: Salt and the Light


I’m sitting in Starbucks sifting through old notebooks hoping to find something to “mine” out of the explosion of words. Around me are business people with laptops and paper figures speaking of percentages and payoffs.

Directly in front of me is a young couple trying to sell a woman on their “business.” As the young man pitches his amazing plan backing up his statements with websites and information directly at his fingertips on his Mac Book. I notice his partner is trying to seem interested and engaged and I wonder if she is trying to sell something that she doesn’t believe in.

She has completely checked out.

I get it.

Her eyes are glazed over, the double shot of espresso hasn’t kicked in yet, and instead of making a contribution she fades off in sheer boredom. She blends in, but she doesn’t stand out.

How many times have we felt the same exact way?

I know what it feels like to have eyes that have lost their sparkle. I know what it feels like to feel bland lacking a flavorful life.

I try not to stare at them as they sit completely oblivious and unaware that they are my subjects.

Whatever they are selling…I am not interested.

You lost me at the blank stares and far off look in your eyes telling me that you would rather be anywhere but here. It’s not your dream, your passion, and I’m wondering if you even remember what your real passion is.

When people look at my life; do they want what I have to offer?

Do I make them lean in closer, as they are about to hear about the ultimate payoff of eternal proportions?

If I am to be the salt of the earth, do I make them thirsty?

I am to be a light, just how much of Jesus shines through me?

“You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to thrown out and trampled underfoot.

You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” (Matt 5:13-16 NIV)

The Message says it like this, “Let me tell you why you are here. You’re here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You’ve lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage.” (Vs. 13)

The view from where I sit leaves me with this:

Are we the salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors or are we one, fifty pound bag away from ending up on the cold ice as a deicing solution?

Oh, Lord, remind us why we are really here!

Amen


(Picture: Salt Crystal Chandeliers. I love the symbolism of the salt and light combined!)

3 comments:

  1. I love how you write. I totally get it. I'm not a writer at all, and I admire the simple words that you share. In my bible study tonight the exact topic came up. I just got confirmation of a few things by reading your post. Amen! Got to love that. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!! I just write what God puts on my heart...so glad that this was a confirmation for you!! I love it! Blessings!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff... I'm tired of living "checked out" I want to be fully engaged, filled to overflowing with the God dreams! That's when our light shines the brightest.

    ReplyDelete