Friday, January 14, 2011

Show Me Where It Hurts


The other night I had a dream. I can’t remember where we were, but it was my dreamer-friend, Keri and I. She was looking at me and I was showing her my scars. Battle wounds that I would have covered up years ago, one on my arm, the one below my jaw line that I call my manmade dimple. Some scars she could see as I traced the place where the wound used to be. Some blended in so well as time had changed them, making them smaller and almost invisible. But, I still knew where they were, the roadmap of my life, my hills and valleys.

I woke up and went on with my day, but from time to time I would think about those “scars” and how we tend to hide our hurts from those around us. We don’t want to display them, we would much rather conceal them for fear that our fractures and flaws will be all that people notice.

You see; I used to be a broken girl from a broken home trying to figure out why on earth God was calling me, of all people, to work for Him. God has taken my life, my tears, and given me a voice. With trembling hands and bruised knees, I ran to Jesus time after time and this is what He says:

“Show me where it hurts.”

With a gentle kiss and heavenly Band-Aids.

With a skillful surgeons hand, wheeling me into recovery.

With a loving rebuke and needed time-out when my wounds were self-inflicted, He has been my Invisible Abba.

Jesus Christ came for the sick, He is not a crutch for the weak, He is the ultimate hospital. You don’t have to clean up to come to Jesus or hide your hurts. Like a loving father, Jesus is waiting for you, ready to replace the brokenness with beauty saying, “Show me where it hurts.”

2 comments:

  1. So beautiful to see your heart here and your face across the table today. Dreaming with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Holley! Today was such a blessing, thanks for taking the time to visit with two dreamers. I really enjoyed meeting you!

    ~Jennifer

    ReplyDelete