Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Little Hands, Big Jesus, & Signs


She said her heart was all warm and fuzzy now as I stare at her toothy grin from the rearview mirror.

“It’s my first good deed of the season,” She said in all her seven-year-old glory.

I glance at my red eyes for just a moment and see streaks of black mascara running down my face. As God begins to speak to my heart about my own calling assuring me that whatever He calls us to do, He is also calling my children to do, I begin to sob even harder.

I’ll go where You want me to go, Dear Lord.

I’ll stay when You want me to stay.

I’ll open my ears to hear their cries.

Help me to not be in such a hurry that I don’t stop in my tracks when Your Spirit is leading.

I’ve always had a heart for the homeless, you show me a broken person and my heart naturally gravitates towards them. Show me a broken girl, from a broken home, and I instantly long to mother her.

Today I was on a mission; time for a grocery trip that I was hoping could be quick with my five-year-old and seven-year-old. I was in “go mode” and I noticed their sign as they sat by the side of the road. I noticed their desperate faces and yet the light was green so I passed by with an ache in my heart.

Her little heart began to ache too and Whitley immediately began asking questions.

“Why the sign? Why don’t they have a home? Mom, don’t you think we can do something to help? Please turn around, Mom. Please.”

I turned around. How could I not? How could I ignore the tug on my heart for the second time? I dug in my wallet and pulled out some cash and then I gave it to her little, eager hands so willing to help. Her little hands could be the hands of Jesus reaching out to a world in need.

Her sweet hands held out the money as she smiled at the homeless man and said, "God bless you." Seeing her little hands brush up against his worn, calloused hands was the most beautiful sight.

I don’t know if I would have stopped if I hadn’t heard her little voice asking me to. I might have wondered if the little bit I had to give was enough. I might have just whispered a prayer and tried to ignore the tug on my heart.

There are so many people around us holding up invisible signs.

Do you see me?

Do you notice my pain?

Could you do something to help?

I will work for food.

I will do anything for love.

So many signs, do you see them?


When we have Jesus, we have everything to offer. Lord, help us to be Your hands and feet.

1 comment:

  1. Girl! Beautiful. Sweet Whitley teaching us all about loving like Jesus. God help us to see the signs and be moved to do something to answer their cry.
    Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete