Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Rock, The Waters, & The Spirit of Mary


I have this little place that I love, sometimes I find myself driving there without even thinking about it. I love being outdoors in the sunshine and I love water. I retreat to my favorite place by the waters to think and exercise. But, today my “power walking” was aggressive and agitated. I figured today was a day for rougher terrain, rocky soil, and grass. A path trampled by my feet and so many others who walk that trail. Instead of finding my way by the smooth and quiet waters I hiked my way quickly to the waterfall and found my way onto my favorite rock. I grabbed my phone to take notes. Surely God would speak, but He just said,"Put it down." Turn off your iPod. Lay down your distractions. Just be still. Don’t write. Don’t say a word. Just listen.

Tears began to spill out covered by my oversized sunglasses as I felt the heaviness of transition and change. Oversized expectations cloud my vision; wanting so much to please everyone but I’m so weary from trying. Mascara runs down my face and I give way to the floodgates knowing that I need it. I need to cry. I need to be overwhelmed. And yet God doesn’t leave me there to wallow, the end result has to be peace. Right? I ask an honest question to the God that fashioned me, “Can I just have the heart of Mary?” Because trying to keep up with the lists and the “Martha Method” of productivity wears me out. (Luke 10:38-41)

Balance is good, list making is good, and schedules are good. I’m good with all that but something is out of balance when my world is too distracted and I cave to the Martha Method that only leads to frustration. Mary likes to cuddle, she likes to sit at the feet of Jesus and just be. And Jesus doesn’t scold her and tell her that she should learn to manage her time better or download another app to help her better organize her life. At His feet is always the better option. It cannot be taken away from us unless we opt for earthly priorities and measuring up to crazy expectations over our quiet time. Which for me quiet time equals sanity and a life without prescription medication.

He whispers ‘look’ and so I do. And I see something that is not supposed to be there, something that someone placed there to get to the other side of where they wanted to go.


I have no idea who placed the board there, but I will tell you that it’s not stable enough for someone to walk on and actually make it to the other side…it only took one step for me to realize that someone’s bright idea wasn’t that bright.


The “board” is my need to please others and my earthly agenda. It takes me nowhere and leaves me unstable. He is the lover of your soul and mine. He refreshes me like this water refreshes a thirsty earth.


“Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm; for love is strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave. It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame.

Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot sweep it away. If one were to give all the wealth of one’s house for love, it would be utterly scorned.” (Song of Solomon 8: 6-7)

Why should we give away the wealth of our time when God longs to rearrange our priorities?

4 comments:

  1. Crying buckets of tears - getting ready to shut down the computer - turn off all the "noise" in this house and listen - listen for His voice & His heartbeat - taking time to sit quietly at His feet.

    Your words today are His words, truly inspired by One greater than we can imagine.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Sherri... I'm praying for you. I'm so proud of you for taking a few things off of your very full plate...you won't regret it! I know God will carry you and refresh your spirit. He loves you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post was just beautiful. I needed the reminding. I am in a season of transition and growth. I have been doing a lot of seeking God during this time. Thanks for reminding me to just stop and listen. I found your blog from living proof, a comment you posted.
    http://tracyscoffeecafe.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Tracy! I'm so glad you found me. I know God will walk you through this time of transition...getting alone with God is carrying me through these growing pains. It's so worth it! Blessings on you! I can't wait to check out your blog.

    love,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete