Monday, April 25, 2011

The Resurrection & Crumbs


My husband walked in Wednesday night from church with a book in his hands.

I stayed home with my sick baby, trying to get a fever of 103 down. Needless to say, I was trying not to panic knowing he had to leave for church. He tested the cold bath water and assured me it would bring her fever down. And it did as I acknowledged my blessing of having a healthy sick child that is recovering.

“By your stripes we are healed.”

His word is true, active, and alive. In my humanity I acknowledge that healing looks differently through our eyes. Sometimes healing comes complete as the eyes shut and the final breath is inhaled. Sometimes our miracle is received and celebrated, and we cradle it knowing that gift didn’t come from the medical world, it came from God.

My husband handed me the children’s book, “The Story of Easter,” and smiled. I opened it and written on the first page was this:

‘To Whitley and Elise who are the resurrection and reality of Mom and Dad’s “special” dreams.’

It couldn’t have been more beautifully stated. They are living proof that God is the healer. He restored my broken body that wasn’t supposed to bring life and gave me the miracle of feeling life growing within instead of miscarried life and dreams.

As I write this now my heart hurts because heaven just welcomed a child home my daughter’s age, Johnny Teis. My mother’s heart aches because a woman with the most beautiful faith watched her child fade as she prayed daily for God to heal and restore. Even knowing the end was near, never once did she feel a release to stop praying for earthly healing. Faith like that is stunning and beautiful.

After miscarrying for the second time I held my hands up in the air in surrender and worship to God. I had teenagers in our Youth Group at the time ask me how I could love God so much while I experienced death within. But, God is stronger than death and a grieving heart that loves God purely is stunning and perhaps even confusing for those who can’t get past the question…why?

The lady who made petitions for her daughters healing by saying, “Even the little dogs eat the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table…” was stunning; it was a faith that made Jesus stare in amazement.

“O woman, great is your faith! Let it be to you as you desire.” (Matt 15:28 NKJV)

She was saying to Jesus, “I don’t need the full course meal, but let me have just a tiny crumb of what you have to offer because that tiny crumb falling from the master’s table is more than enough for me. I’ll take it God; I’ll take the crumbs from Your table.”

Her daughter was healed that very hour and yet so many others receive their healing when they enter heaven. I don’t understand why others receive their healing here on this earth while others wait, but I trust the God who resurrected my dreams and reality.

Yesterday I celebrated my risen Savior, the resurrection of God’s dream for all of us. For God so loved the world that He sent His only Son. He loves us even when we turn up our noses at the crumbs falling from His table. He loves us when we are full of faith and He loves us when we are wrestling with Him in rebellion, kicking against the form that wants to lead us safely.

Just a few hours after church and Easter lunch with treasured family we received a phone call telling us that one of the most beautiful girls that ever walked this earth, Sheree Hohn, was killed in a tragic car accident Sunday morning. She was headed to church to celebrate with her beautiful family and she never showed up. We were so blessed to have her in our youth group when we were Youth Pastor’s. If I could describe her in just one sentence it would be this…Sheree Hohn was the sweetest sunshine with a heart for God that was stunning.

I wish I could utter some words like, “One day we will all understand why heartbreak happens on this earth to the most incredible, God-loving people.” But, all I can think about is this mother and father saying goodbye to their thirty-year-old sunshine. All I can think of is her sister, Angela, who was her other half and best friend. They didn’t even have time to ask for crumbs, but they grieve with hope knowing they will see her again. But, it still hurts with waves of shock pulsation through those left behind.


To My Jesus who is the Resurrection and the life,

Kiss the faces of those who weep and whisper the songs of heaven as we wait for Your return. I don’t understand this, I’m not sure I want to. But, I ask this one thing…give us a faith that is stunning. I’m satisfied with crumbs or the full course meal; faith in You is what sustains me.

Amen

In Loving Memory of Sheree Hohn

20 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post...of a beautiful girl.

    My dad and Sheree's dad are brothers..and we are all in shock from the news of her death. Yet, rejoicing that she is in the presence of our Savior...worshipping him!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,
    We are still in shock too. We love your family very much and will be lifting all of you up in prayer. Sheree was such a joy and I'm sure that voice of hers is filling heaven with praise.

    Much love,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our hearts grieve for our loss. But such mourning is not hers. How she rejoices! She beat us to the prize! Well states, Sis. Our hearts break for the Hohn family and those she held dear. May the God of all strength & peace truly make Himself at home in their hearts in the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I worked with Sheree at Sparks. She made such an impact on me that i have never forgotten her. Such a wonderful person.... I am so sorry for the loss of a great woman.

    Peggy Ward
    employee of Sparks

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was Sheree's cousin Julia ,i am only 11 years old but i feel like a depressed 55 year old ,sheree always knew what to say and was always there for every one .she loved her hole family but she would have done any thing for her niece Ellieana Burr sheree's sister Angela's daughter.thanks to every one for the caring words from every one.
    p.s.
    no more sorrow no more pain I WILL RISE !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember seeing kim at the viewing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet Julia, I wish I could hug you right now. Sheree was such a bright light and I am having a hard time with saying goodbye too. One thing that is bringing me so much comfort is this...it's not goodbye...it's I'll see you later. Heaven is our reality, no more sorrow, no more pain! Just know how much you are loved, Julia. God loves you so much and He will comfort you during this time of loss. I wish we could have met at the funeral. Please email me anytime if you want to talk at jenniferwatson14@yahoo.com or jennifer@brokengirl.org. I will be praying for you, sweet girl.

    love,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  8. We all feel sorry but we know that Sheree is so much happier




    sad cousin,

    julia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jennifer how did u know Sheree (AKA MY BEST FRIEND)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband and I were Sheree's youth pastors and served in ministry for 4 years in Sallisaw.

    ReplyDelete
  11. DEAR JENNIFER I THINK I SAW U AT THE FUNERAL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, we were also at the meal with the family afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jennifer, that was beautiful. I regret that I couldn't make it to the funeral, but my mind and heart were there. Sheree was stunning all around.

    Kevin Funkhouser

    ReplyDelete
  14. dear jennifer did u you meet her boyfriend Matt Houe




    love,julia

    ReplyDelete
  15. dear jennifer u know my parents ,jermey and janette davis


    Jennifer thanks for talking last night with me (:


    love,julia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Julia,
    I do know who your parents are! I lived in Sallisaw when you were a tiny baby. My husband and I met Matt and sat with him during the meal. I will be thinking of you all and praying for you, sweet girl! It was good to talk to you.

    love,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kevin,

    We love you and miss you! I pray you are doing well.

    love,

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kevin FunkhouserMay 2, 2011 at 3:14 PM

    Thanks Jennifer....I sure miss you and Pastor J. I think about you often. I'm doing well, I live in Tulsa, been here for about 6 years now. Tell Pastor Jonathan I said hello, and thanks for everything he did when I was in Bentonville.

    love,

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  19. jennifer this is julia again just saying Hi :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi sweet Julia! Much love to you!!

    ReplyDelete