Monday, May 2, 2011

Irreplaceable, A Crayon Card for Mom




Can I confess to you that I'm a stay-at-home mom who loathes housework? I can assure you that when I colored my picture in grade school of what I wanted to be when I grow up it did not have someone scrubbing toilets and conquering mounds of laundry. It probably had a picturing of a girl with a huge smile on her face wearing a tiara prancing around her castle feeling treasured. But, today my castle is much smaller with dishes in the sink and tiny shoes belonging to little princesses that haven't learned how to pick up after themselves yet. There are days when being a mom is a thankless job and then there are days that I can't hold back the tears because I'm grateful that I get the privilege of hearing “Mommy” a million times. Yes, there are days where I want to pull my hair out, lock myself in the bathroom and never come out. We all have those days where we feel replaceable, invisible, and under-valued.

Saturday night I heard my little girls whispering something to their daddy. I tried not to listen, but I have super powers and “Mom ears” that hear just about everything.

“Can we give it to her now?”

He knows that they get the trait of being unable to wait from me and gives them the go ahead.

They came into the room with the sweetest smiles and their hands behind their backs, “Here Mommy.”

I opened the cards they made and began to sob as I wrapped them up in my arms. I didn't see that coming.

“I love you, Mom. I could never replace you.”

My response took them by surprise. To be honest with you, it took me by surprise too. Spilling out from within me was the awareness that I am not replaceable. I am not invisible. I am loved as the flawed mother that I am.

As I wept my oldest smiled as I whispered, “It's happy tears.”

She ran into the other room to tell Daddy that the cards were a huge success while my baby wiped my tears and held me. She kissed my wet face and said the words she couldn't write on the card in crayon.

“No one could be gooder than you.”

Forget Mother-of-Year, perfection does not live in my home. Love does.

Moms, you are not replaceable. You are not invisible. You are treasured. You are loved. No one could do it better than you do. Set aside your need to make everyone think you have it all together, let a few things pile up, let love fill your home as you aspire to be the Proverbs 31 woman.

You are irreplaceable.

“Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.” Prov 31: 28-29

6 comments:

  1. Isn't that the cutest? I love it... God bless you mommy from a grandma in Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the CUTEST!! I'm so glad you agree.

    I have loved every stage of motherhood...I'm sure being grandma is the greatest too! Blessings on you in Oregon!

    love,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer,

    I couldn't have said it better myself! Being a stay-at-home mommy is the most challenging and rewarding "job" I've ever had! Wouldn't trade it for anything in the world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney,
    I completely agree, I am so blessed to be able to stay at home with my babies...what a blessing! Happy Mother's Day to you!

    love,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet - kids love keeping secrets and pulling surprises, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true, they love being in on a sweet surprise!

    ~Jennifer

    ReplyDelete