Thursday, December 2, 2010

Christmas Wishes and Christmas loss


She would have been ten.


I just assume that I only make girls. Being a self-professed girly girl, I soak in all the sugar and spice. Fairy tales and make believe, chasing after dreams like clouds thinking if I jumped high enough I would hold them in my hand.

I haven’t thought about her in a while. But, for years thoughts of her consumed my waking moments and my dreams.

It was Christmas time; all was jolly and bright with the gentle mixture of fear. What would motherhood be like and would I be good at it? All I knew was that strong desire to mother was within and we would figure it out together. I would grow into motherhood with each breath she took.

Two days before Christmas something happened. I knew something was wrong, I began to miscarry a dream, and a fragile life. I spent a few hours in an ER room longing to hear a heartbeat that was never meant to beat.

I pulled myself together, packed our gifts in the car, and said goodbye to my mother. All I really wanted was to stay there with her, but there was more family to be seen with Christmas days away. I tried my hardest to celebrate the birth of the baby that changed everything for me. My Jesus.

A tiny cry that all of heaven celebrated, the God-child. Immanuel, God with us. And even as my heart broke and my questions spilled over, God was with me every step, unafraid of my questions. Never once did I feel Him condemning me. I just felt His all-consuming love.

I cradled the new life around me, and new additions to our family. Then I slipped upstairs to grieve without watching eyes. I crawled in bed, pulled the covers over my head, and fell apart.

My mother-in-love followed me upstairs, sat next to me, and cried with me.

“It was our baby too.”

I’ve never forgotten that moment or that feeling, but at times I have returned that same gift of just crying with those who are hurting.

I don’t know what you are experiencing right now, but I know so many of you are dealing with a loss of a loved one or maybe even a death of a dream. I pray that you find deep joy this season and know that God-child came wrapped in flesh so that we might identify with Him. His love caused Him to leave the comforts of heaven to die for our sins.

Because of the baby in a manger, I have great joy and hope.

Sitting on my mantle is a Christmas angel that says, “Believe in Miracles.” It brought me great comfort in a time of loss and waiting. God has answered me in the sweetest way and restored what was lost. But, I haven’t forgotten that Christmas filled with tears and how God met with me and cradled me through it all.

If you are experiencing loss, I just want you to know that I am thinking of you, of your pain, and if I could, I would sit beside you and carry that pain with you and just cry.

My prayers and thoughts are with you. May peace surround you and the arms of God cradle and comfort you! You are not forgotten.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing Jennifer. I have 3 babies in heaven. Timothy and Grace would be 10 and Micah would be 8. We place an ornament for each of them on the tree at Christmas time. It is a good way to cherish the fact that they will always be in our family. It helps me to remember that they are LIVING in heaven and that the time we are apart is so short in comparison to how long we will be together when we are reunited. Maybe my little sweethearts are running and playing with yours...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camille,
    I love the thought of my babies playing with yours! I'm overwhelmed with gratitude when I think of just how much I am blessed to be the "joyful mother of children." Ps 113:9

    Much love,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete