Thursday, December 9, 2010

Marveling at Mary


Can you imagine being young and betrothed, wide-eyed and hopeful of what is ahead, and then all of a sudden the world stops for one tender moment and you hear this:

“Rejoice, highly favored one, the Lord is with you, blessed are you among women!”

She’s bewildered, confused, and frightened. What does all of this mean?

Once again she hears the words from the angel Gabriel, “You have found favor.”

He calms her troubled mind, tells her of her favor and worth, and then drops the bomb.

…And you are going to give birth to the Son of God.

Perhaps she had to remind herself to breathe as she asks, “How can this be?”

And the angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you;”

She takes it all in. He speaks again, “For with God nothing will be impossible.”

The favored one chosen to carry the Son of God speaks, “Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your word.”

The angel departs. She decides to visit Elizabeth and she hears once again, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb!”

“Blessed is she who believed, for there will be a fulfillment of those things which were told from her Lord.”

Mary begins to sing and I have my answer to why she was chosen.

1.) Her responsive obedience was the very thing that made her highly favored and the one handpicked by God.

There was just something about her; sweet and unassuming as her song spills over from the depths of who she is.

2.) Mary was devoted to God: “My soul magnifies the Lord and my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior.”

3.) Mary was humble: “For He has regarded my lowly estate.”

4.) Mary knew God and His character: “For He who is mighty has done great things.”

She speaks of His holiness, His mercy, His strength...and how He fills the hungry with good things.

I sit in wonder as I look at the life of Mary and how the Holy Spirit overshadowed her. Overshadowed is the same word used for the cloud from which the voice spoke at the Transfiguration. Both refer to the cloud that manifested the glory of God.

I identify with her questions and marvel at her responsive obedience. As I think about the things God has asked me to carry, I am reminded of all the times I have questioned him. How can this be?

But, my prayer is that I will take those questions and open my hands to give them over to the One who is higher than I. May I respond in obedience and sing a song of the faithfulness of God.

What has God asked you to carry?

Sweet friend, what He calls you to do He will equip you to do. May He overshadow you with His presence. Let’s press on together and light up this world!

(Inspired by Luke Chapter 1)

2 comments:

  1. oh may we be so obedient...to do something asked of us that we don't feel qualified or able to do with open hands and heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! May we say "YES" to God's amazing plan...

    ReplyDelete