Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Words to Embrace


Words are so powerful. When aptly spoken they bring nourishment to the aching soul. When spoken recklessly they have the power to change the course of someone’s future. Hurting hearts carry around those reckless words:

I wish you were never born.

If I could go back in time…I would.

You will never be good enough.

Words that cut leave invisible scars for the untrained eye, but not if God gives you the discernment to spot what a broken heart looks like.

A broken heart says, I’m not really sure how to accept your love so when you get close enough that it scares me; I’ll shut you out.

A broken heart says I’ll reject you first before you reject me, for I’m certain that is what is coming next.

A broken heart becomes a builder of walls to keep others locked outside, insulated by loneliness because the silence feels safer.

A former “broken girl” knows what a broken girl looks like. And as we reach our different levels of healing, peeling back the layers until we get to the surface of where it all started…we become free. But, I truly believe it’s not so that we can forget the broken girl that we used to be but to set the captives free by the power of our testimony. (Heb 1:3)

There has to be a time where you shut out the voices that cut knowing that those words are not from God. There has to be a time when you forgive the hurting person that ripped your heart in two. There has to be a time when you replace the reckless words with the truth. The truth that you are loved, that you are valuable, that you were never a mistake.

Embrace the words that are straight from the heart of God.

You are fearfully and wonderfully made. (Ps 139:14)

You are the treasure of my heart, who every touches you touches the apple of my eye. (Zec 2:8)

You are worth dying for, so I sent my only Son just for you.

Beloved,

God simply adores you!

9 comments:

  1. You are a breath of fresh air. I found your blog in such a timely fashion. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From one broken-girl pastor's wife to another. Thank you for this. I find myself hearing those condemning words and rejecting others or holding them at arm's length all the time. I enjoyed your post at (in)courage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow... where in the world did you get that picture? it is awesome, I would love to use it on my blog.
    You are right, words are so hurtful and can also be so encouraging. They build up and tear down in a matter of seconds. I know I have dealt with 'harsh wounding words' from someone very close to me for a year now and that person will not take responsibility for their words spoken to my husband about me.
    Thank you... for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a new follower....love the way you write! So glad I found you via (in)courage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isabel, I'm so glad you found me too! It's such a blessing to connect with the amazing women at (in)courage!

    Thoughts for the day, I get most of my pictures from flickr...love them!

    Thank you ladies for stopping by and leaving a comment! It's been such a blessing to hear your comments! Blessings to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of the most beautiful posts ever! Did you read a post titled Broken Girl over at Walk-Worthy? I think I actually found your blog because of hers. I love your blog!

    JEN

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen,
    Thank you so much for your kind words! What an encouragement to keep writing! I did read Keri's post "Broken Girl" she is one of my dear friends...and I love following her blog!

    Blessings!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES, I just figured out that you were the "friend Jennifer" that she was talking about. So funny. I sent this post to my friends and my husband because he totally gets it too. He always says, "find the pain, heal the person".

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it!! So true, TD Jakes has spoken often about how there is purpose in the pain. I'm a firm believer in that...because I have lived it!

    ReplyDelete