Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Four Simple Words & Cute Shoes


So much resolve and restoration can happen with just four simple words.

“Will you forgive me?”

She really didn’t even have to ask for it because I had already let it go years ago.

Something had to happen recently, a mishap that sparked old memories to rise to the surface. I had no idea it would happen like that, but now I’m glad that it did. Everything always works out. Time really does heal all wounds, but only if you let it.

I’m not sure how old I was exactly. I was too young I suppose, yet discerning and sensitive enough to understand what broken looked like. I understood how it happened, why it happened, and that most of the time it was fear-based desperation driving them to not turn out like the ones who broke them.

It is possible to have so many wonderful memories woven together like the strongest thread. These cords and strands of my life came from so many people in my life, my mother, my pastor, my mentors, and my best friend. They are a part of me, they helped to shape me.

My cords and strands became my own personal journey woven tightly in the faith, grounded deeply in my moments of prayer, and a feisty determination that comes from my Mom who encouraged me to be better.

“Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But, woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to lift him up. Again, if two lie down together, they will keep warm; but how can one be warm alone? Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him. And a threefold cord is not quickly broken.” (Ecc 4:9-12)

Four simple, yet powerful words were spoken. We cried and hugged in the shoe department and then she bought me the most adorable shoes. She needed to say it and feel my acceptance of it. She needed to free herself and explain her reasons behind pushing me so hard. She was the driving force in my life who just wanted to make sure I had the best life. Not just any life, a blessed life. She wanted to make me wake up from what she called my “Dream World.” But, my La La Land seemed a lot nicer at times and every now and then…I still visit there.

Much love!

No comments:

Post a Comment